The Financial Commandments

When I first started my blog (nearly a year ago!) I had a page that was dedicated to my “financial commandments.” They are the rules that I try to live by and the ethos of this blog. After redesigning the website a few months ago, I realized that they had gotten lost in the shuffle.

The “commandments” were the reason I decided to create my blog and the guiding principles with which I try (and sometimes fail) to live my life. (J. from Budgets Are Sexy was also kind enough to feature the on my favorite blog ever—his own!)

A lot has changed in the 8 months since I wrote them: I paid off my debt, I learned  am learning how to be kind to myself, and I’ve made some big life changes. But somehow, the “commandments” still ring true.

So without further ado, here they are:

1. Avoid Waste

99% of humans are wasting insanely large sums of money. Don’t be one of them

2. Only spend money on things that truly make you happy.

If it doesn’t make you happy or make you a better person, don’t even bother opening your wallet.

3. Learn what happiness actually is

…and what it isn’t.

4. AVOID ALL FINANCIAL EXTREMES.

Never sacrifice important things like your relationships or self-care in order to get ahead financially. Instead, ignore societal norms and cut out pointless expenses. Never save money to the point of misery or spend to the point of excessive. Binging and purging is unhealthy in both eating and spending.

5. Debt is evil.

Dispose of it immediately and never take out loans again.

6. You can do anything you set your mind to

…even if it is not the norm or seems hard.

7. Saving money will make you happier than spending ever could.

8. Life is short and fleeting.

Financial freedom is about creating a life that allows you to focus on the things and people that truly matter. Never lose sight of those things (and people) as you work towards your goals.

What are your financial commandments?

7 thoughts on “The Financial Commandments

1. Penny @ She Picks Up Pennies says:

Debt is a necessary evil sometimes. But I’m right there with you on figuring out how to get rid of it quickly! I loved this idea when you posted them originally, and I’m so glad that you shared them again. You’ve done amazing things in less than a year! Woohoo.

2. Physician on FIRE says:

Give, baby, give.

It’s good to save money, but not to hoard money. Spending on others and giving to meaningful charities has been shown to provide a happiness boost more significant than spending on yourself.

Cheers!
    -PoF

3. Kurt says:

This is a corollary to a couple of your commandments, but I suggest reading up on “hedonic adaptation.” Understanding this phenomenon and recognizing it in one’s own life will save thousands of dollars.

4. ZJ Thorne says:

Learning what happiness is is really vital. For me, I have not been on the pursuit of happiness, but rather the pursuit of wholeness. Happiness is often a byproduct of wholeness, but they are distinct.

5. Jen Smith says:

Right on! One of my biggest take-aways from our year paying off debt was learning what truly makes me happy. With every purchase I had to make a conscious decision whether it was worth it. It’s a value I’m so thankful for now and will teach my kids one day.

6. Lake Girl says:

These are awesome! Thanks for sharing. My 25 year old niece was asking me about saving money and I haven’t yet put my thoughts in a post for her on mylittlebluekayak blog! I think I will share this with her now!